image desccription

NM Energy$mart

MFA's NM Energy$mart program makes your rental home more comfortable and more energy efficient at no cost to you. Your landlord must sign an agreement that gives you certain tenancy protections. This agreement must be signed before weatherization services can be performed. 

Homes receive an average of $5,500 in energy efficiency upgrades through the program, which may include insulation, caulking, new windows and/or new heating systems. You can expect a savings on your utility costs of $350 to $500 each year.

The NM Energy$mart Program receives funding from the Department of Energy, LIHEAP and from utility companies such as New Mexico Gas and PNM. MFA awards these funds to community action agencies, nonprofit organizations or local governments through a competitive request for proposals process based on their experience and capacity to perform the required repairs.

NM Energy$mart Program Services

If you qualify for the NM Energy$mart program, a residential energy efficiency professional will come to your home and evaluate it for energy efficiency and health and safety factors. Based on the evaluation, a recommendation will be made for customized upgrades that will make your home as energy efficient and safe as possible. The service providers will explain to you what work will be done and schedule a time to come to your home. Throughout the weatherization process, the health and safety of your household remain a priority. After the work is complete, an inspection will be performed, which may include MFA staff.

M Energy$mart services may include some of the following:

Air leakage reduction

  • repair or replacement of broken glass
  • thresholds, and weather-stripping
  • sealing/caulking cracks
  • installation of door sweeps
  • exterior doors
  • fireplace dampers
  • water heater insulation blankets
  • thermostat controls
  • incidental repairs including lumber to frame or repair windows and doors
  • roofing materials to patch or repair leaks
  • protective materials (paint), or repair materials
  • ceiling, wall and floor insulation

Electric base load measures:

  • compact florescent light bulbs
  • new refrigerators

Health and Safety

  • stove pipe repair/replacement
  • smoke and carbon monoxide detectors
  • furnace repair/replacement

Do I qualify?

Whether you own or rent, live in a single-family home or a mobile home, you can apply for assistance. If you rent, your landlord must sign an agreement that gives you certain tenancy protections. This agreement must be signed before weatherization services can be performed.

Preference is given to persons over 60 years of age, persons with disabilities and, in some cases, families with children. If someone in your household receives Supplemental Security Income (SSI) and/or Temporary Assistance to Needy Families (TANF), you are automatically eligible.

To be eligible for the Energy$mart Program, your household income must be at or below 200 percent of federal poverty guidelines. (See chart below.) Priority is given to the lowest income households.

Family Size Income Limit
1 $23,540
2 $31,860
3 $40,180
4 $48,500
5 $56,820
6 $65,140
7 $73,460
8 $81,780

Add $8,320 for each additional person over 8 in a household.

Where do I apply?

Weatherization work is performed by three service providers located throughout the state. Any home can eligible, whether owned or rented, single family or multi-family. To apply for the NM Energy$mart Program, please contact the service provider from the list below. Be sure to call the provider that serves your county.

1. Northern New Mexico

Central New Mexico Housing Corporation
703 Osuna Road NE, Suite 2
Albuquerque, NM 87113
Phone: (505) 345-4949
Toll Free: (855) 345-4949
Fax: (505) 344-4245

Call Central New Mexico Housing Corporation for service in the following areas: Counties: McKinley, Cibola, Sandoval, Bernalillo, Valencia, Torrance, Guadalupe, Quay, San Juan, Rio Arriba, Taos, Los Alamos, Santa Fe, Colfax, Mora, San Miguel, Harding, Union.

2. Southern New Mexico

Southwestern Regional Housing & Community Development Corporation
2480 Lakeside Drive, Suite C
Las Cruces, NM 88007
Phone: (575) 546-4181
Fax: (575) 546-4243

Call Southwestern Regional Housing Community Development Corporation for service in the following areas: Eddy, Grant, Sierra, Luna, Dona Ana, Lincoln, Otero, Chaves, Hidalgo, Lea, Catron, Socorro, Curry, DeBaca, Roosevelt. The agency also provides service for the Mescalero Apache Nation.